Part 1: Meetings are toxic
“The worst interruptions of all are meetings.”
Why are meetings toxic? Here are just a few reasons:
- Meetings tend to drift off subject
- Meetings usually have vague agendas
- Meetings interrupt productivity
- People call meeting because they like to hear themselves speak
- One meeting tends to spawn another meeting, which tends to lead into several other follow-up meetings.
If you’ve ever called a meeting to discuss the status of Course X or met with your team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) you can probably relate to a few of the issues mentioned above. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. They want to deliver the PowerPoint they spent way too much time designing. Most of all, they want to show their peers how smart and productive they are. The real problem with meetings is people!
37signals’ Idealogy Meets Online Training
September 3, 2010 by 3 Comments